1. Take time to study the entire painting. One glance gives no insight. 2. Just as in reading let your eye travel from left to right. 3. Divide the painting into thirds and 4.Start in the upper left corner.
5. Slowly let your eyes move to the right .
6. When you get to the end of the upper 1/3, begin slowly moving your eyes back to the left allowing your vision to take in the middle third of the painting.
7. Use the same process going from left to right while viewing the bottom third of the painting.
8. Now step back and view the entire piece. 9. Notice the brush strokes and texture within.
10. Study the subtle colors not obvious at first glance.
11. Ask yourself if the composition works by balancing color, space and shapes.
The painting title is “Please Please Don’t Eat the Daisies”. What title would you give it?
Now you have some idea of one way to study a piece of abstract art. With these steps you will understand why you like or dislike the art and won’t have to say “I don’t know!”